Like many of you, I’ve become rather disinterested to listen to any more rumours until it is confirmed on the official Arsenaldotcom. Doesn’t make for great publishing I know, as there will bound to be plenty of hits on the blog when talking about transfer targets. Which brings us to today’s topic.
I was intrigued the other day on Twitter when someone asked/mentioned that December might be the month which Arsene Wenger would be asked to leave the club. The argument being, if he did not reinforced the playing squad during this summer transfer window when it is obvious that we needed one or two players to push us pass the finishing line.
In reference to that, I’m curious to find out what is the level of acceptance that supporters of Arsenal Football Club in terms of achievement in the coming season, to say that “Wenger can stay as long as he want” or “this is enough, Wenger out”. I can only judged this from a supporter’s perspective. Sure, the board would/should have different views on this matter. I cannot speak for minds of those whom I do not know.
I started putting down a couple of scenarios but I realised that would not be fair as anything could happen. So, let’s do it the other way around. I will provide my own scenarios in which I will absolutely be behind Wenger all the way and also a couple of scenarios in which I would want the board to start reassessing Wenger’s future at the club.
To do this, we have to assume it’s December 2011.
These are the scenarios which I could readily accept;
1. Fabregas and Nasri stays. Only new faces are Jenkinson and Gervinho. Qualified for Champions League knockout phase. Position in the league not particularly important if we are not more than 5 points away from the leaders.
2. One from CF/SN leaves. CJ and Gervinho are the only new faces. Qualified for Champions League knockout phase. Position in the league not particularly important if we are not more than 5 points away from the leaders.
3. Both CF and SN leaves. CJ, Gervinho and a new left back bought. Qualified for Champions League knockout phase. Position in the league not particularly important if we are not more than 5 points away from the leaders.
4. Both CF and SN leaves. CJ, Gervinho and a new left back bought. Position in the league not particularly important if we are not more than 5 points away from the leaders.
And these are the scenarios which I would start to raise some questions;
5. Regardless of the transfer in/out, we are more than 5 points behind the Premier League leaders.
6. Both CF and SN leaves and no new left back.
7. Knocked out of the Champions League after the qualifiers/group stage.
Now, before you start chasing me around with an axe, let’s make one thing clear. I have the utmost respect for Mr Wenger. I can’t see anyone being a better manager for Arsenal Football Club than this man. I can’t see anyone able to maintain such standards (however you defined it) with the amount of money (transfer and wage) made available to him. There’s nothing I want more than to see him beating Ferguson’s record at United (number of years and trophies).
Yet, no single player or manager are ever bigger than the club. There will come a time when every man’s position at the club would have to be asked questions of. No matter the power of change or success that any particular person has brought to the club. Another point worth noting is that no clubs has any divine rights to trophies. There’s no such thing as Team A should have won the league because of who they are.
Well, that is my opinion anyways. What’s yours?